Saturday, April 13, 2013

Liebster?

Okay, so Joannie tagged me on this thing called the Liebster Award. I don't even get it. But I do like to play along, so here goes! Thanks, Joannie!

How it works is:
 Thank the person who nominated you and link your post to their blog.
List 11 facts about yourself then answer the 11 questions given to you.
Create 11 more questions for your 9 nominees, all of whom have 200 or less followers.
Comment on their blogs informing them of their Liebster Award nomination. (<
Let's begin.

Eleven Facts About Annie:

1. I am prohibitively short. We have this upper cabinet shelf where my mixing bowls live and Martin likes to store a stack of red cups there. I can't actually reach that shelf, so while he would like the three red plastic cups to be stacked neatly and set beside the mixing bowls, I just have to kind of throw them up there and it's his tough luck that he has to go looking for them whenever he wants a drink.

2. I love to bake biscuits! I love to bake biscuits so much that my family is sick to death of them. But I still bake them all the time. They are super fast to throw together in a pinch, it makes me feel like a real old-fashioned homemaker, and they are oh-so-yummy with melty butter and some fruity jam.

3. I love possums! I love possums almost as much as I love baking biscuits, except that biscuits don't have that potention rabies transmission risk. (which is why the biscuits made it to #2, which is above #3 on this list.)

4. I will never travel internationally. I hate airplanes. I spent a few years when my siblings lived out of state spending a lot of time on airplanes and for awhile I liked them, and then that changed to not minding them so much, and by the time my sister moved back to Indiana from Florida, I really hated flying. And so I have come to the conclusion that where I am is a good place to be, and if I want to be someplace outside of driving distance, well, that's just too bad for me.


5. There was this one time when Lisa Loeb came through our area on a tour and played at a couple of universities nearby. She didn't have an opening act, and I was involved in the local music scene and so I was invited to open for her for a couple of nights of her shows. I had pretty much forgotten about this after it happened, until I had kids and we listen to a lot of Elizabeth Mitchell (if you don't know her, look her up, you will love her) and she has an album with Lisa Loeb. I chuckle now, remembering that I did that funny thing long ago. She was a very nice lady!

6. I want a sheep farm. I do. I want to raise sheep for meat and fiber. I have always wanted to have a farm, ever since I was a little, little kid, and now that I'm a grownup I don't know why I haven't done it yet. But I really, really want to. And along with the sheep, I will have lots of dogs and cats because I really love dogs and cats. Especially cats....

7. I am a cat lady in training. I really should have a name badge or certificate to make this official. There are days when I look at my cats with the same kind of adoration with which I look at my children.

8. I was going to put down that I'm a procrastinator, but I'll do it for number nine..

9. Procrastination is my favorite hobby, next to knitting and snuggling my cats. I put off anything and everything for later, until I get that sudden angry urge to purge everything in my life and start over because everything has become such a huge mess. One example of this is how we're having a yard sale tomorrow (as I write this) because we'd really like to sell our house and move out of our scummy neighborhood. Last spring (an entire YEAR ago) we set an easy deadline of putting our house on the market on my birthday. That would be October 6th. For those of you without a calendar handy, I'll just tell you that my half birthday was a week ago.

10. I carry every day in my right hand pocket a Spyderco Delica knife with a green handle. It comes in handy for things like cutting yarn, be it from a knitting project or around the neck of a three year old, I'm always glad to have it. (Also, it'll be good if I ever need to stab a bad guy. Be afraid, bad guys. I have an excellent trainer.) If I don't have pockets I carry it on my skirt waistband. And I try not to mind when my skirt is saggy on one side.

11.


Whew! I bet that's more about me than you wanted to know. Now, on to the questions from Joannie.

1. If you could be a fictional character for a day, who would it be?
:: I would be Robyn from the novel "Nice Work" by David Lodge. I can't really say why, but she is who I wish I was. (Sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about. I couldn't think of anyone in current pop culture, she was the first one who came to mind.)

2. What's your favorite book of the Bible?
:: Zow. Can I just claim the entire Old Testament?

3. What's your favorite thing to cook or bake?
:: BISCUITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. What's your favorite Christmas movie?
:: Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey. HAND.DOWN.

5. Do you subscribe to any magazines?
:: Two! Country Living and Backwoods Home Magazine. They are like polar opposites of "country" magazines and they are the only two magazines I get.

6. Mac or PC?
:: What the Huh? I do all my internetting on an iPhone, but for big things we have this crappy laptop that we dig out. That's what I'm using now. We're never sure if it's going to live through startup. As a matter of fact, this evening things were looking pretty dire, but after a few restarts, it's still chugging. The scroll bar on the side isn't working, I have to use the arrow keys, but whatever.


7. What's your favorite city in the United States?
:: Lafayette, Indiana. (But if we go smaller than cities, I love Paoli, IN an awful lot... )

8. What's your go-to dinner for Fridays in lent?
:: GRILLED CHEESE AND TOMATO SOUP FROM A CAN. We had it every single friday this lent. I do love it so.

9. If you could spend one day with someone in history, what date would you spend with whom?
:: I would spend July 29th, 1987 with Martin Schap. We never actually met each other (that we remember) as kids, but we came so close, so often! That would be his 5th birthday party. Maybe we would have played with his new legos together.

10. If you could have a super power, what would you want and why?
:: I would want a superpower that turns whatever screaming child I touch invisible. That way when I'm at the store and someone has an enormous fit, I could just place my hand gently on her shoulder and, "what? I don't hear anyone screaming.... I think you need to see a professional; there's no screaming child around here...."

Winter or Summer?
:: Until this year I would have said winter and meant it with all my heart. But right now I'm so sick of winter I'm ready to pack it up and move south. Summer.

Okay, now is the really hard part where I have to nominate 9 people. The problem is that I'm not sure I know 9 people with blogs. But I will try, and I KNOW that some of you got nominated by Joannie too, and I'm sorry.

Laura
Sarah
Martin
Anne
Clare
Alison
MaryAnne
Elisabeth
Anna

My 11 questions for those lucky nine are:

1: Your favorite flower
2. What's your cooking "style" ?
3. Who was your first sweetheart?
4. Can you roll your tongue?
5. If you had to flee your house in the event of a fire, but you had time to grab two material possessions (children and pets not included) what would they be?
6. Beer, wine or liquor?
7. All-time favorite childrens book author or illustrator
8. In the event of waking up to discover that you are out of coffee, share your survival plan.
9. What's your favorite social media... thing? (what are these? channels? networks? I don't even know the lingo.)
10. Dogs or cats?
11. How do you prefer your eggs?

And that concludes this Liebster post. Thanks, Joannie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You did it!! I like your answers to my questions. Especially 10, which made me laugh out loud.

Mike Byers said...

Can you make genuine southern cat head biscuits? If you can and you ever need help eating them, just let me know.

Red Herring Jeff said...

Number 9 is the greatest answer. Great "interview", Annie! Thanks for sharing. :D

Maryanne said...

Ha, I remember when you opened for Lisa Loeb. I only knew of you back then, didn't actually "know" you, but I remember Anne telling me about it. She had never heard of Lisa Loeb, and asked me if I knew who she was. I did, and though I wasn't a huge fan of hers, I thought how awesome it was that you opened for her!

And I did your Liebster questions. the egg one was my favorite. :)

Anonymous said...

I did it!

Elisabeth said...

Ahhhhhh so I JUST saw this! Grr