Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sweaters, Sweaters, Everywhere

I currently have two sweater projects in the works; the orange one for me, and this red and grey hoodie (well, it will be a hoodie, hopefully) for the bouncy little baby who surely--SURELY--won't make me wait until the middle of June to make his/her entrance.  Have I mentioned on here how huge I am? Even my sister acknowledged it.  And this baby--if I sit down it just starts rolling all over the place and it's already putting on shows of that sort for the outside world to see.  Last Sunday we sat at the dining table at my parents house and my sister, sister-in-law and I watched it punch me from the inside and roll around.  Today I took a video. So far, in looks (judging by the ultrasound) and in activity level, this baby is reminding me a lot of Anja.  Anyway, here's the back of the hoodie that isn't done:
 I'm only to the sleeves, but I got the rest of the yarn I needed to finish it the other night.  I'm just using Wool-Ease because it's cheap and washable.  And because except for the one extra red skein, it's the leftovers from the scarf I made my nephew for Christmas.

But here is my new best friend:
 This sweater.  A few weeks ago I went looking for a maternity coat at Once Upon a Child, and the best I found was this maternity sweater. It's kind of coat-ish, I guess.... which is kind of unfortunate, since I'm wearing it ALL THE TIME.  It's so snuggly and roomy and it covers up what I'm wearing so it doesn't have to "go" with anything that's hiding underneath.  In other words, it's perfect.  Last night I even wore it to bed!
 Martin might've mentioned once on the way to church that it was "sad" that it is my coat.  What exactly does that mean?  That I look like a bag lady?  That I look like I don't know what a coat is, or that cold weather usually requires more than just a layer of yarn?  I don't care what he says.  I love my sweater coat.  And my sweater coat loves me. (I included two pictures because I really only like the second picture, but the first one makes my house look slightly less trashy and dirty, I think.)

And here are my first double-pointed-needle knitting projects:
They are little bowls!  The pattern for them came from Amanda Blake Soule's most recent book, The Rhythm of the Family, which I'm enjoying a lot more now that I've had it for awhile.  As long as I don't read the essays, it has a lot of fun little ideas in it.  So I knit up the purple and green one last night for Anja to felt today, but then when it came felting time I realized that the idea of sharing one felting piece probably wasn't going to go over very well... so I knit up the little grey one for Greta.  Sadly, the purple one didn't felt up as nicely!  I don't know why--it's all Lanaloft yarn.  Hm.  Anyway, they are cute little bowls--tinier than they are supposed to be according to the pattern, but I only have one set of double pointed needles and they are size 4 or 5, not the 10.5 that the pattern calls for.  Oops.  Oh well, they are really perfect!  I can't wait to see what the girls do with them, once they are all the way dry.  (I might throw the purple one in the washer and see if I can get it to look more felted.)

So that's what we did today. And now it's nighttime and I've got two loaves of bread ready to go into the oven so Martin and I will get a little snack of warm bread and butter and tea before bed.  And I'm wearing my brown sweater.

Oh!  And I found a couple of new blogs that I thought were sweet... one is called Juniper Moon Farm (I don't remember the website, but I'll try to find it and add it to my list on the sidebar) and the other one is called Merry Magpie Farm (same deal) and they just seem like happy little blogs. I don't even remember how I found them now.  I think I was looking for a sweater pattern and they came up in the Google results.

And thanks to Ann in LA for suggesting that I move my Etsy link to the top of the page!!  (And for the kind words via facebook message, which doesn't always cooperate for me, which is why I didn't reply. But thank you!!)

Oven's ready!

No comments: