Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This Post Is Not Going to Sound Nice

Okay. I've been reading some annoying blogs lately. It's not quite a love-hate relationship that I have with them... it's really mostly hate. These people sound so arrogant, so much like they are on show for the rest of the blog world and like their one goal in life is for people to think that they have absolutely no problems and that they don't put anything in their mouth that is not organic, and that they are the epitome of "all natural."

But then, as I read through these blogs and their archives, I realize that these people are sad and that I should feel sorry for them. Because they are idiots. Because they need multiple resources for how to play outside with their children.

!?!?!?

I'm not kidding. I was just reading a blog--a VERY POPULAR blog--where this woman actually listed all these resources she uses for how to get her toddler out in nature, and activities to encourage nature play. Suggestions included playing with water, having sticks and logs available to your kids, and in fact the first idea on the list was "Use your outside door." And these aren't jokes, people, these are serious resources, which this author quoted as being "phenomenal." And she had a whole list of books/websites like this.

What happened to just going outside to play? Who says you need to "set up" nature? Why do people have to be told that a good thing to let their kids do is dig in the dirt? DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE FIND THIS DEPRESSING?!?!? Seriously, I read these things and I get so fired up, but I'm absolutely speechless at the same time. I try to complain to Martin about it right after reading it and find I don't even have words to express my feelings. I am bubbling over with a sort of rage that can't really be described.

And you know what else is completely depressing?! That people all over the world are making money by writing books telling people that it's okay for their kids to play with sticks and touch water that comes from sources other than the kitchen tap. I am astonished!!!!!! Where did we lose touch with nature??? Maybe it's my upbringing (and that of everyone I know). Maybe it's the mentality of the Midwest. Maybe I'm just lucky and don't realize it. But I'm realizing that there are people out there who live their lives moving from their house to their car to their office parking garage with a convenient skywalk who probably see very few insects during their days. I don't know these people. If I did know these people, I wouldn't be their friend. I cannot fathom living that way and I find it hard to believe that anyone does, but it must be so--for all these things to come (much like the eating garden foods and meat without added hormones) as a brilliant epiphany.

I am repeatedly flabbergasted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean it's alright to touch water from the tap? I thought only bottled water was safe.

You're right, it's sad and depressing, but maddening when someone "discovers" nature and then wants to tell you about it as though they are the only ones who know abut it.

Daddy

Anonymous said...

I agree, Annie, it is sad and depressing. I guess that means that all the fun we had in the back yard today, swimming, splashing, digging, eating(including sharing our food with the dog) was just a useless waste of time because it wasn't organized!

I know it is aggravating, but, on the other hand, those people are so sad.
Mama

LauraSuz said...

I like you're not nice post. Just last night as Dan was putting MG in her car seat he said, "You look like a kid that's played outside. That's what we like to see." Summer is here!

Audio Mastering Studio said...

I do agree that this is bad and sad. As in this woman actually listed all the resources she uses for how to get her toddler out in nature.

Lady Caitie in the Pretty City said...

Haha! Great post! At least they are parents trying to spend time with their kiddos, I guess.. There are plenty who look more towards the TV than the back door. They're just making it harder on themselves. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tara said...

I love this post. And agree completely! We encountered that a lot in New York. Everything has to be organic or you are classified as an earth hating, whale killing, litter bug (or worse). I got a good laugh out of this post. We miss you.

Tara