Monday, June 20, 2011

Annie Recommends

After a long time without posting, I have nothing but a few book and music recommendations to share with you.

MUSIC:
1. Ari Hest. Modern acoustic folk; favorite song "Give It Time" from his new album called Sunset Over Hope Street. Some of his songs are a little too.... Whiny folk singerish for me, but this one has me totally hooked. He's like a young John Gorka. Love him.

2. David Mallett. Um, god of the earthy folk music of the 60's-70's? I know i've posted about him before, but I just cannot believe that I've been playing his songs myself for YEARS (!!! Not kidding!! This year marks my brother's 10th wedding anniversary and his wife taught me one of his songs before they were married! Yikes!) without crediting him or realizing his incredibleness and buying all of his albums to listen to constantly forever after. The only album I have is Inches and Miles. My favorite songs on it are.... Ok, I admit it, all of them. The album is only ten dollars on iTunes and worth every single penny. David Mallett is also the person responsible for The Garden Song ("inch by inch, row by row!") a favorite of every kindergarten music class. And one of my favorites too! Don't think of him as a kids music guy though... He's not at all. And he's incredible. (and still touring!)

BOOKS:
Ok, I know my family is probably sick of hearing about this book (I might be mildly obsessed) but "The Time Traveler's Wife" is more than a novel. It's like a piece of weird, beautiful art that keeps you thinking about it long after you've left the gallery. It's a story of perfect marital friendship, true faithfulness, and, um, time traveling. Yeah, I know that part sounds a little sic-fi, but I swear it's not! It works! It's what makes the story so lovely! And oh my gosh, I am not one who cries at books or movies (I think the only movie I've cried at the end of was We Were Soldiers) but this one is a serious tear-jerker. I had to force myself to finish it. It has a little run of sadness, but the very very end is just wonderful. And PS, if you've only seen the movie, it doesn't count. From what I hear they are very different. I almost want to watch the movie, just to get mad.

Those are all my recommendations for today. I hope everyone had a happy fathers day! BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

2 comments:

LauraSuz said...

We had fun with you gals today. Can't wait to read the book - it DOES sound so different.

See you soon!!

Jill said...

I listened to Dave Mallet on pandora while I was doing the dishes tonight. love him! thanks for the recommendation!