Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Playdate!

I'm really not the type of person who calls up other moms and schedules playdates for my baby. I think the idea is nice, and I do like to see my friends and if they happen to have babies of their own, great, but I'm not going to go out of my way to set up outings so that Anja can play with someone her own age for a few hours. That's what cousins are for, anyway!

However, this morning I was delighted to get a surprise magazine-style playdate handed to me! Today is the last Annie Car Day ever (well, today and tomorrow, since he'll bring a college car home tonight after being in Evansville) and once we got to Crawfordsville Anja was tired of being in the car so she and I went down to Campbell's for a treat. We got some kind of scone and she ate most of it. I was kind of killing time, just hanging around with her waiting for it to be a little closer to 11:00 (it was only 9:30 when we got there) so she'd be able to fall asleep on the way home and not cry the whole way instead. I noticed when a young-ish mom came in carrying a baby in a sling who was wearing cute stripey tights and Robeez shoes, and that mom noticed Anja on the floor and came right over to talk! Lucky for me she was a more outgoing person than I am, because we had a really nice time! She was a cloth-diapering, homemade-gift-giving person who is looking into the Catholic schools in Lafayette because "We like God!!" and her older daughter is now in Kindergarten. Her name was April and her baby's name was Ella and we talked about cloth diapers, homemade flannel wipes, BABY LEGS! (Anja's recent birthday present from my sister) our big dogs, traveling husbands, and lots of other stuff. It was a good time! And at 11:00 on the dot, Anja started rubbing her eyes, so we headed home and she fell asleep right away in the car. A good morning!

No comments: