Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Preparations

Wow. Let's just say I haven't taken a trip to anyplace in a loooooooong time. I realized yesterday that I'd better get some clothes washed for us. I realized this morning that we're almost out of milk and that we'd better pack a cooler to take with us for Anja's milk and medicine. Then I thought we should take sandwich makings so we wouldn't be eating out all weekend. And then I thought... "what do people pack clothes in for trips?" All I could think of was Martin's small black suitcase which has been packed and unpacked every weekend for the past eight weeks. But I don't have a small black suitcase, and I really couldn't remember what I used to pack my clothes in when going on trips. Gee, do you think I'm ready for a vacation? That means I've been in this house for a year. I haven't stayed overnight anyplace for AN ENTIRE YEAR. That's craziness!

I'm really looking forward to this trip. It'll be good to get away for a long weekend, good to see Mimi, and fun to have a roadtrip with Martin again since we haven't had one in forever. We're planning to leave around 8:00 or 9:00 tomorrow night and arrive in South Fulton around 4-ish in the morning. It shouldn't be bad at all!

Sometimes living within a four-foot radius (both social and geographical) of all your family members can be a challenge, but sometimes it brings good things. For example: My mother-in-law picked up a coat from Goodwill sometime over the summer, only to get home and see that it didn't fit her, it was too small. So she gave it to my mom, but I guess it didn't really fit her either, so she gave it to me! And let's just say this coat has pretty much become my best friend. I LOVE IT. It's a red Land's End barn coat with corduroy collar and nice pockets. It's made of that kind of canvassy material, but the best part is that it's lined with plaid wool, but only over the torso, like a vest. So the sleeves are just the canvas material but your core is kept warm by the wool. It's AWESOME because its not at all bulky, but still warm!! And I think it's cute. I mean, okay, it might be a liiiiitttlle bit frumpy, but generally speaking, for an every day coat, it's pretty cute. Besides, I found out this past weekend that I can still fit into my gorgeous brown coat from last winter, which is completely awesome. Obviously I can't button it, but STILL... I was sure the thing wouldn't come close to fitting me.

Martin went to Evansville last night and didn't get home until after 2:00 in the morning. Booooo. Only one more trip to Evansville for this job and then it's busrides and better work environment forever after! I can't wait for him to be done with all this silly travel. But at least last night's thing was an alumni dinner so he was fed well. I went up to my parents' house and made dinner for them. I made Lemon Garlic Chicken, which is super easy and quick, and they said they liked it. They might've been lying, but I guess you can't very well turn up your nose at a free meal.

Anja had a well baby visit this morning and it went fine, except that she was tired, so she reeeallllyyy wasn't digging the whole strangers-touching-her thing. She cried and cried. On the way home she fell right asleep... it's only a few minutes from the doctors office to home, so that was pretty impressive. The poor little tired thing!

Anyway, except for preparing to leave for Tennessee, nothing much else is new. I did want to make cookies while Anja sleeps though, so I'd better get moving on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have some small rubbermaid containers with lids? Those seem to pack well.

Have a wonderful trip. Happy belated birthday to Anja too.

Sam