Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And So it Begins...

Martin's travel season officially started today. He left last night for Bloomington where he is spending most of this week before heading down to Evansville on Friday morning, and will be back home at his usual after-work time that afternoon. It was sad to see him go! We had a nice weekend though; after our Global Fest fun on Saturday we slept in a little bit and went to the 9:30 mass at St. Boniface, where we haven't been in AGES. We ran errands all day in an effort to get stuff done before Martin left, and in the afternoon we met up with our friend Joel who was in town. We went to Vienna and had chais and Anja was pretty happy for awhile, and then decided she'd had enough, so we left.

Most of our Labor Day was uneventful. In the morning we had breakfast at the Sunrise Diner as a sort of last hurrah, but for some reason Anja wasn't digging it and Martin and I took turns standing outside on the sidewalk with her while the other ate. It would've been fun to do something festive like have a cookout, but instead we ran more errands, met up with our friend Matt and TusaRebecca at Vienna, and left town for Crawfordsville around 6:00. Martin had a little work and packing up to do at his office, and we were going to go out to dinner, but decided it would be better for Anja if we just got something quick and ate on the picnic table outside Martin's building. So while he was off getting Wendy's sandwiches, Anja and I chased a couple of cats around the building, then took a walk around the circle drive on campus and saw tons of dogs! Anja LOVES to see dogs. She wiggles and squeals and waves at them. It was such a nice evening and there were so many people out; it ended up being a really enjoyable time, even though the reason for being there was kind of depressing. We ate our Wendy's and Anja played on the giant front steps of Trippett Hall, then we took one last walk together around campus, got in separate cars and headed our own directions for the night. Anja cried most of the way home and eventually fell asleep as we were coming into Lafayette.

The good thing about the travel season finally starting is that now that it's started I can begin the countdown to it being over!

The dog started having some slippery poops again yesterday and this morning, so I'm monitoring her carefully and if they continue tomorrow (they've solidified considerably this afternoon) I'm going to call the vet and ask about a prescription diet we can put her on.

I went to lunch today with my dad! He called me because he was downtown for a meeting and parked near my house, so when he got out of his meeting he took Anja and me to Scagnoli's for lunch. I had the most delicious (and enormous) sandwich... I'll have the other half for lunch tomorrow. It was really fun though and Anja enjoyed herself and ate half a jar of sweet potatoes.

After lunch Anja and I went out to Nature's Pharm where I bought some shampoo. We were going to go to Petsmart too, but my sister texted me about story time at the Ivy Tech library at 2:00, so we met up with them there. Anja really liked the little songs and rhymes.

Anja took an afternoon nap then and we went to my parents' house for dinner. My mom had stopped by earlier in the day and I told her I'd supply the peppers if she made pepper steak and invited me to dinner. Haha! I had a few good sized peppers from my garden. I'd picked them to make pepper steak for us over the weekend, but never ended up making it. That's probably okay though because my mom makes it better.

And now Anja is asleep and I'm about to be...

3 comments:

Anne said...

Boo for traveling jobs. It should make you feel pretty good though that you can hold down the fort while he's gone! We women, we do what we have to! ;o)

Jill said...

I think your mom should start a recipe blog. pepper steak, spaghetti sauce, roast chicken....

but of course they're probably all secrets, huh.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jill, they are all secrets. If you had married into the family you would have access to those secrets. Too bad for you.
Mrs. H.
PS I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do a blog anyway.