Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Weekend

Our weekend was nothing thrilling, but it was pretty fun, and definitely nice to be a little family again after the long week of travel for Martino. On Friday night I was going down to pick him up at the usual time when he called and said A) he didn't need a ride after all because he'd gotten the college car starting that day; and B) he wouldn't be done with all his paperwork by 4:30. Since I was already on my way, I continued down and while he finished up some stuff at his office, Anja and I took a walk around campus. We saw lots of dogs. We eventually made it back to Martin's office where we hung around before going to Johnny Provolone's for a pizza dinner. It was a festive bit of an otherwise lame Friday night; Martin ended up working until 10:00 or so. Barf!

On Saturday we walked over to Vienna and had a really nice morning over there. I think Anja eventually took a nap... I made a big salad for lunch, then Martin and I joined Anja for her nap and didn't wake up until 2:00. We met our friend Matt out for coffee, from there went to Petsmart to see dogs and buy cat food and dog food, and then we went up to my parents' house to drop off some dry cleaning I'd picked up for my mom and to pick up Pig, whom I'd accidentally left there the day before. They were on their way to 4:30 church, but Martin and Anja and I hung around after they left and drank chocolate cokes and iced tea and relaxed. My parents had invited us out to dinner with them after church, and we didn't think we would go because we thought Anja would be too crazy by that time. However, she took a nap at 5:00 and when she woke up I gave her some banana and she was very happy to be alive, so my parents' came by our house and we DID all go to dinner. We went to the Brew Pub! It was a Mosey Down Main Street night (doesn't it seem like they have one every weekend?) and we did the mosey thing and saw lots of people we know. I almost bought a skirt from Amused, but I didn't. Anja had a good time and when we got home we all went to bed.

...and didn't wake up for 7:30 mass, AGAIN. We decided to get coffee before church and go to the noon mass at St. Ann's. Martin and Anja took a morning walk while I took a shower, and we had a nice time at Vienna and got to mass incredibly early. We haven't been early for mass since Anja was born. You'd think it wouldn't take ten months (or more) to adjust to the time-difference of having a baby, but we still haven't found the groove yet!

Our Sunday was kind of nothing after that. A quick lunch of leftovers at home, then I had a practice to for a wedding I'm playing with Heasty Puddin'! I'm reeeaaallly excited to be playing with them again. They are SUCH nice people, and I like playing tunes and I especially like the simple combination of instruments in the group. So even though it was kind of a bummer to miss out on time with Martin since he has such a limited time at home these days, I'm not sorry I had to practice cause it was loads of fun. And he could've come in too, but Anja was finally asleep, so he stayed with her instead.

After the music practice we got cokes from the Custard (the practice was right nearby,) went home and took a nice walk together. Anja was SUPER grumpy when she woke up from her nap, but we put her in her stroller and as soon as she was outside she was her happy self again. She is so funny. Anyway... Martin packed up, it was an uneventful early evening, then he suggested another walk before he left. And he led me to Panera for a chocolate pastry (MUCH more delicious than it looks) as a last treat. On the way there and back we passed through some kind of democratic rally down at the Plaza. They had all sorts of booths set up on the bridge, bands, signs... loads of people. I'm sure we fit right in, Martin in his Hofbrahaus (sp?) shirt, I in my Birkenstock clogs, wearing my baby in my colorful wrap. We saw a VERY cute and cutely dressed little baby girl in an Ergo carrier! She had on the cutest little stripey tights. VERY adorable.

I'm really looking forward to the cooler weather and dressing Anja in her own cute tights that she had last winter but that never fit her skinny little legs. They'll be perfect now.

I posted before about the little ear-flap hat I knit for her and how I was making matching mittens. Well, I finished the second mitten tonight, but it didn't match the first one at all (the first one was much better.) But while I was finishing up the second one, Anja kind of confiscated the first one and for some reason really loved it. She kept smiling at it and holding it up high. And she held onto it all evening... she even fell asleep with it! Isn't that adorable!? She is so weird. So I'm not sure if I'll finish the project by re-making the second mitten or if I'll just have to give up and let her keep the first one as a... well it's not exactly a toy... a friend? Whatever. Weird baby.

She's sooooo cute... she loves bread. But I think it's making her constipated so tomorrow I'm going out to buy some baby food prunes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember Blankie? Now Anja has "Mittie". Don't you dare take it away from her....that is too cute.
Mama
PS I had intended to let you pick out a skirt at Amused, but Mrs. P. shot that right out of my mind. By that time all I could think of was escape.