Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Old People

Okay, I realize that it's not even 10:00 yet, but Martin and I WERE in bed... embarassingly, since 8:30... but we're both still awake, not a bit sleepy! Maybe it's because Anja has had a run of fairly good night sleeps lately. Maybe our bodies have become accustomed to running on only a very short supply of sleep and since we've recently been getting more, our bodies are overflowing with rest and think they don't need any more sleep. Um, if that's the case, our bodies are definitely wrong. But still, maybe that's the problem. It also might be because we both got naps today. I fell asleep with Anja when putting her down for her afternoon nap (by the way, she napped AWESOMELY today, went down for bed at 7:15 and only just woke up for the first time a few minutes ago) and ended up sharing her entire nap with her, which was exactly two hours. Whoops! Then after dinner Martin took a nap on the couch while I went to the grocery store with Anja. And since it was just the two of us, and I knew Martin was sleeping, we took our sweet time. Anja loves the grocery store. So that might be some of his problem too.

But then the other, much more annoying problem, is that our air conditioning started making this horrible high pitched, steady noise. It's one of those noises that once you notice, you can't STOP noticing. So I was lying there, trying my best to block out that noise by thinking about other things, when I looked over at Martin, who looked back at me and said, "Do you hear that annoying high pitched noise?" I told him it was the air conditioning, he said he thought it was something outside. So I went downstairs where it's quiet to listen for something outside, and it took me a trip to the bathroom and back before I could get the noise enough out of my own head to realize that it was nothing outside, it was just the air conditioning. I went back upstairs and switched it from medium to low and that stopped it. It still went on in Martin's head though, so eventually he got up and came downstairs to read. I then realized I was hungry... so I came down too. So here we are!

Anja and I went to the Farmers Market this morning. We were supposed to go peach picking with my family, but at the last minute they found out the Peach Picking Place was closed! Bummer! I still wanted peaches though, so I bought some from the Famers Market. I even got a big bag of seconds for a dollar. I also got a pint of blackberries and three apples to make those delicious apple cinnamon scones. Yum! I should make them tonight so we can have them for breakfast tomorrow... hmm....

So in the afternoon after my wonderful nap with my wonderful baby, I blanched and peeled enough peaches to fill two freezer bags. I recently froze some blueberries as well. I figure if I freeze enough fruit now, I'll be all set to make pies all through the fall. I had made some pie crust in the morning, so while I was making dinner I put together a blackberry pie with the blackberries I'd bought, it baked while we ate, and was hot for dessert! Except we didn't eat any of it. You see, I'd kind of filled up on the raw crust.... heh heh heh....

And it was an otherwise pretty uneventful day. I'm really dreading Martin's travel season, which starts on September 2nd, although the bonus of this year is that the Cluster Flies seemed to have not returned. At least without as much gusto as last year. We've only had about five all summer, and by this time last summer they were BAAAAAD. Still though... it's going to be a poopie two months. Because last year while I could hole up in my house and watch chick flicks and eat popcorn and Subway sandwiches to my heart's content, this year I have a baby to look after.

But I'm also a little bit dreading winter. Mike Prangley is calling for a mild winter and an early spring, which is good. It will be a little bit okay since Anja will be one and able to go for winter walks... but we just spend so much time outside, and she loves being outside! Sometimes when she gets fussy in the house, all we have to do is sit on the porch swing together and watch the cars go by and she is happy as a clam. I guess I'll just have to invest in some good hats and mittens for the winter.

Also, one of my shelves fell off the wall yesterday. That's annoying. But nothing broke, so that's lucky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you mentioned the winter, Annie. Daddy and I were sitting on the back porch tonight and we both said we kind of dreaded the coming of winter. It's cozy and all, but it just goes on too long. We have had such a nice summer....I just hate to see it end.
Also, I always heard that eating raw pie dough gives you worms....that is why I never let you kids eat it. But maybe that is just an "old wives tale". I'll bet it is....and I was just dumb enough to believe it. TusaRebecca and Baxter came down to dulcimers tonight! She and Sarah sat and chatted for quite a while.
Love, mama

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Oh, fiddlesticks. You let us eat raw cookie dough all the time and that has eggs in it. Pie crust is nothing but Crisco and flour. There isn't anything in it to give you worms!! And besides, the amount of salt I put in my pie crust is sure to kill off anything that might be harmful...