Monday, May 19, 2008

Dentistry in a Small Town

I went to the dentist today. I was going to have some cavities filled. My appointment was at 10:20 and my mom went with me to hang out with Anja, and she had the appointment just before mine. So after my mom went in the girl comes out and says she's ready for me, even though I'm an hour early. ? I thought my appointment was at 10:20. No, she says, it's actually at 11:20, but we can slip you in. Hmmm... definitely a mistake I'd be likely to make. So I went back with her and she sits me down and starts checking out my teeth. The strange thing was, she was telling me all this stuff and doing the same checks they'd just done a few weeks ago. And they took xrays of my teeth again, just like last time (except not as many.) I'm thinking this seems pretty weird and kind of like a big waste of time, but I keep my mouth shut, assuming they know what they're doing and this must just be neccessary because things can change within three weeks. So we're talking and admiring pictures of her baby girl on her neat digital picture frame that is a long slideshow and I realize that the man in the pictures is the guy who sold us our house! We had a laugh over that, and then I realized that we'd seen him while his lady was pregnant and he'd told us that he was having a daughter and her name would be Kerrigan. Now that daughter is a year old! Weird. So anyway, the dental appointment goes on and we laugh about what a small town it is while she keeps repeating the work on my teeth that was done last time. She says I appear to have some loose and broken filling on one of my old cavities. I told her I thought that's why I was here today, to have it filled. She kind of frowns and says, "No, that's not on your chart schedule for today..." and just at that moment another of the dental girls comes in and says to mine, "can I talk to you for a minute?" When they return they admit that there was a mixup. Two Annies were coming in today, and I'd gotten the other one's chart--the other Annie was Annie Peters! So they just gave me a cleaning (they said I was needing one anyway) and I am scheduled again for the fillings, for next week. Talk about a pain in the neck. Here I was, all nervous about having my teeth drilled at and my gums numbed, and I have to do it all again next week!!

However, things do tend to work out. Since I wasn't sore and drooly after this painless dental experience, my mom invited me out to lunch. We met my dad over at Nine Irish Brothers! I had fish and chips and it was delicious. And it's always fun to go to lunch! Anja was an angel, as always.

No comments: