Friday, May 2, 2008

In the Morning When We Rise

Aaaah, morningtime. Cinnamon toast, a hot cup of coffee, a non-psycho puppy and a super happy baby. What could be better?

It's a little bit funny to us that we buy (as in spend money on) all sorts of fun toys for Karenin. She has rubber bones and marrow bones and ropes and balls, a nobbly wobbly, and various stuffed animals. And while all those things are surrounding her, what does she do? She digs out this huge piece of metal pipe from Martin's tool stash and carries it around the house with her, chewing on it and licking it. This pipe is her best friend. and it's huge! She carries it and she can hardly get through doorways and when she drops it it makes a VERY big noise. Silly dog! Although last night we were playing fetch with her hedgehog toy while Anja sat in her exersaucers across the room, and she was getting the biggest kick out of watching Karenin chase the hedgehog. It was so adorable.

Another adorable thing was that yesterday Anja put herself to sleep for the first time ever! (Not including the newborn phase where she would once in awhile randomly fall asleep... but even that was rare... usually she had a huge screaming fit leading up to sleep.) It was so cute! I took her upstairs and put her on my bed and tried to lie down and nurse her, but she wasn't interested. She turned away and closed her eyes and after only a few minutes of her head-toss-thing, she was fast asleep. It was so cute! And amazing!

Well my wrap skirt is close to being done. Turns out, this is about the simplest thing anyone could make. And it's going to be sooooooooo cute, if a little short. It will look so fabulous with my merrell sandals. !!! And since the fabric was so cheap, I think I might go back and get another color this weekend and make another one. This time I'll try to keep the hem a little smaller so the skirt doesn't turn out so short. But I love it! All I have to do is the waistband/tie which I may just use a yellow or green ribbon. I think Saturday may call for a family trip to JoAnn's....

I will admit this fact: I'm getting thin. But there's a hitch... it's not my waistline, it's my HAIR!!! I know I was warned about this, but when it didn't happen by six weeks postpartum, I figured I was a special chosen one who wouldn't have to endure such suffering, since my hair was already so thin to begin with. Not the case. It's terrrrrrible. And I don't know what to do about it. Maybe I should get some special shampoo or something?

I'm reading Jhumpa Lahiri's new book. LOVE IT. And I'm only 27 pages in!! She's such a fabulous author. Everyone should read this, and her other books. This one is called "Unaccustomed Earth." Her other novel is "The Namesake" and her short stories collection is "The Interpreter of Maladies." Enjoy!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

My hair is falling out by the handful too!! My stylist said it happens around 5 months for most people. Not that that helps you, but at least you are not alone.

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Ugh. Yeah. My stylist said it would happen, but he didn't give me a timeline, so I figured I'd lucked out. I'm surprised I have as much left as I do... but it is NOTICEABLY thinner. Boooo. Do you think if I get pregnant again it'll thicken back up?

Elisabeth said...

ooh... I love that book too--Interpreter of Maladies... I had started it last summer and never finished all of the stories because I started school again... and grad students don't read (well, not this grad student). Fortunately, I'm not one anymore and I can get back to my books! How is this new one?