Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturooski

It's suddenly cold and cloudy and very windy, which is weather that does not in any way match our plans for the day. We were going to work in the yard; pull weeds and put in our garden, since my plants from Zoe's plant sale came in yesterday. But I guess those plans will have to wait until tomorrow because today is no day to play outside, especially not with a baby.

The morning was pretty great though. We woke up early (well, Martin woke up insanely early and I woke up an hour and a half later. He's kind of psycho. He's doing this "hard routine" that is kind of like a personal lent, except it has nothing to do with Christ's sacrifice and everything to do with self-discipline. He says if he goes 4 weeks living by these certain guidelines he's set up for himself that then after those four weeks are over, when he regresses he still will be better than he is now. I can't complain TOO much because at least one of the part of his "hard routine" helps me out--he's to do at least one household task a day. I'm not the kind of wife who makes up a honey-do list every weekend, but I do appreciate when things get done! Anyway... this should probably be a separate paragraph, so I'll get back to my original point...) and we ate breakfast and had our coffee together until Anja woke up, then we got dressed and went down to the Farmers Market. If our pocketbook can allow for it, we're going to try to do all of our grocery shopping (aside from the obvious baking supplies, paper products, and toiletries) at the Farmers Market. Now that they sell meat, that should be easy. We can get our eggs, meat, bread, honey and all of our fruits and vegetables down there. And maybe the higher price will force us to buy less of it, and therefore eat less, and become skinnier. I'm excited to try it out, although there's no guarantee that it will work on a slim grocery budget. As for this morning, we bought asparagus for dinner (!!!) and a loaf of bread for the weekend. Also, Abby Rider gave us a bunch of lilacs for free! I didn't tell her that I had nakedized my own lilac bush yesterday and so my house was already full of delicious blooms... I took her lilacs gratefully and then bought asparagus from her. The lilacs are lovely on our dining room table and the asparagus will be just as lovely on the table, but lovelier when it's in my tummy.

After that we came home and hung around with the dog for a few minutes before packing Anja back up and walking down to the VP to test our luck on the scratch-off tickets. Cha-ching! We won $18! Not the $3,000 we were hoping for, but that's okay. Maybe next weekend.

Anja fell asleep in her carrier on the way home, which is always adorable, and once home she took a nice long nap on our bed while we sat together and read our books on the couch. I made my favorite Saturday lunch: chicken sandwiches and egg noodle soup. The chicken was the leftover cold meat from the chicken I'd baked last night and we had some roasted veggies with it too. Deeeeelish.

We met Matt Aiken out after lunch; we went to the Frozen Custard by the park, but it was freezing!!! So we just got cokes and pretty much left right away; we went to Barnes & Noble and hung around. Anja fell asleep in the car on the way home so now Martin and I are back on the couch reading together (well, obviously I'm not reading yet...) since it's too miserable to work outside. But tomorrow's supposed to be nice AND tomorrow is the May Crowning!!!! Anja is going to wear the prettiest dress ever. I haven't decided what I'm going to wear yet.

Gee whiz, it's so windy! Time to snuggle up with my good book now. It may not be a good day for gardening, but it's a PERFECT day for snuggling up with a book with your crazy dog, super fat cat, and smellywelly hubbywubby!!

2 comments:

LauraSuz said...

We have lilac's on our table right now too! They make the kichen smell divine!

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Gee Laura, did you make that comment FROM YOUR BEDROOM?!?!? (!!!!!)