Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Shovel This, Shovel That

Without warning I've been pummelled with motivation! Who can complain about that? Yesterday I spent Anja's (incredibly late) nap shoveling up the front planter areas and planting twenty-seven little yellow plants, one cute little red plant and digging up a fern from "the jungle" and replanting it up by the house, opposite of the other fern that grows under the window. I think it looks great! It might still look really trashy, but it's much better than the rocky sand filled with glass shards and sticks that was there before. This year was already an improvement from last year though, as our fern has gotten bigger and the Hostas that Martin planted last summer have come back MUCH thicker and healthier looking this year. I'm very pleased with them! They all survived! I thought for sure I'd killed all but one last summer. We've really lucked out when it comes to not having to buy planting materials. Between being given that whole flat of flowers by Jerry's wife, finding our garden was already filled with good potting soil, and then the discovery that we still have two more ferns AND a whole patch of Hostas in the jungle at the side of the house, we've hardly had to do anything! Yesterday I moved my pretty hanging violas to the back yard. They look nice back there and will get the full sun that they need. I guess I'll give in and get some ugly impatiens to hang on the porch.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the way the yards are coming along, and I'm sure our neighbors appreciate it too. I think people got annoyed with us last year for not keeping up the outside of our house very well, but it's hard to get everything improved when you move into a new house. Last year we were concentrating on the inside of the house and now it's time for us to work on the outside.

Martin is taking a vacation day from work tomorrow. He has to take Karenin to the vet to get her stitches out, and the car needs an oil change. He had a doctors appointment for that day too, but after he'd asked for the day off, his appointment got cancelled. Annoooooying! Anyway, I was thinking about how single people with full-time jobs get everything done. I mean I guess they don't have anyone else to spend their money on but themselves so maybe they can afford to hire people to do everything for them. But if Martin lived in this house by himself and lived his life the way he lives it now, he'd never have time to do everything! When would he clean, or do laundry, or run errands that can only be run during business hours?

Anja is SO CUTE. And cuter than that is the way Martin is just tickled to death by her. Last night we were at the grocery store and Anja was being jabbery and giggly, and Martin couldn't stop laughing about it. It was really hilarious. It makes me sad that he doesn't get to spend all day every day with her like I do.

And Anja's becoming so aware of the world around her. Just a few minutes ago, a big wooden shutter fell off the wall here in the back room. It startled all three of us (Anja, Karenin and me) and I hung it back up but then for a few seconds, Anja kept turning around to look back in that direction. She couldn't see it because it was around the corner from where she was, but she kept looking backward in that direction. It was cute. And she just seems to notice so much more. She ADORES the animals now. All Karenin has to do is walk into the room and Anja smiles at her. Cute, cute, cute.

I will vote today! The only voting station within walking distance is City Hall. Martin walked down there this morning before he went to work, and when he came back he informed me that I have to take the *shiver* elevator up to the second floor, because since the building is officially closed for election day, he thought the stairs were probably locked. YIKES! I haven't ridden in an elevator alone in a VERY VERY long time. It's something I try to avoid at all costs.

I wore my new wrap skirt yesterday! For rosary group in the morning I looked like a scrub machine in blue jeans and Martin's smelly Dropkick Murphy's sweatshirt. But after everyone left I put on the skirt (it's green and yellow) and a white baby tee, and I think the skirt is just perfect. It's so light and airy, and while I thought it was going to be too short, as it turns out it is the PERFECT length. I am so excited to have it!! When we were buying the ribbon for it the other day, Martin had me get some different fabric that was on sale to make another one. It's a darker green and white flower print. I haven't cut it out yet but since the whole project takes altogether about 30 minutes, I'm not too daunted by the task. And the thing about wrap skirts is that they can be as fancy or casual as you want depending on the fabric you use, they are SO EASY make, and you never have to worry about sizing. I wore my wrap skirts all last summer when I was pregnant because they always fit!

Okay, I'd better check the temperature outside. I'm waiting for it to warm up a little bit before we go to vote.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Geez, you're really making me wish I could figure out how to make a wrap skirt, but I'm too stupid to understand your directions. Sigh.
Too bad because it'd be really nice with a pregnant summer approaching to have some skirts that I could wear regardless of my size.

Anonymous said...

Anie: You ought to post a picture of yourself in your new skirt!
Mama

Martin Schap said...

Annie, perhaps you should create a photo tutorial so that Anne and others can see how you are doing this.
Anne, it is very easy. I am sure you could do it if Annie gives visual aids.

Anne said...

Good idea, Martin. In fact, it's such a good idea that I googled around until I found one!! So, Annie, you don't have to trouble yourself - unless you want to of course!! But I found a photo tutorial and I think that was just what I needed to figure this thing out. Now I just need the material!

And I agree with Mrs. H, I'd love to see a picture of your skirt!!

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Anne,
I wonder what your tutorial is like? Because my mom has a pattern for a wrap skirt and evidently it's ugly. (That fact came from my sister.) This skirt has no seams. I'm going to post a tutorial tonight or tomorrow to help you out, if yours is different, because I believe that everyone should have at least one wrap skirt from this pattern. It will make you a happy woman.

Mama,
Pictures on the way.

Anonymous said...

Annie: I didn't know that my wrap skirt pattern was ugly! Anyway, a skirt with a seam takes less fabric and if you are as frugal as I am that makes a difference. But anyway, I'm sure your pattern is way cuter.
Mama
I didn't get to see my little dumpling today. Is she even cuter than yesterday?
Also, I apologize for making fun of you for getting so many tomato plants.... I went out to the garden and counted mine......28!!!! What was I thinking??? I am no good at math and it has gotten me in trouble yet again. There will definitely be some heavy duty canning going on later this summer!!