Monday, December 10, 2007


If you could see me at this moment, you would all wish to be Annie Schap. Because I am wearing some really cute jeans, my super adorable brown Keens that my fabulous and handsome hubby gave me, I'm wearing one of my favorite turtleneck sweaters which is DEFINITELY pre-pregnancy, my very favorite hat--the stripey one from Latitude Zero--and I'm sitting on my uber comfy couch participating in my favorite activity of all time (blogging) with both my baby and my most wonderful precious kitty cat snuggling up against me. WHAT A LIFE!!!

I decided I didn't want to wait so long for my 6-week postpartum checkup, so I called and had it rescheduled. It had been for the 7th of January--now it's the 21st of December! I had no real reason to reschedule it, I just wanted it to be earlier, and that's what I told the lady, and she didn't care.

Anja had her one-month doctor appointment this morning. She's in the 25th percentile for weight, height and head measurements. She weighs 8lbs 8oz! Not as much as we'd guessed, but still... compared to her birth weight she's a whale. The nurse who called our name called us back as "the Schap family" because she wasn't sure how to pronounce Anja's name. Did we make a big mistake with giving our daughter an alternate spelling on an already uncommon name?....

Yesterday after a brief and somewhat uncharitable conversation, I said to Martin, "Martin, did you forget that we were going to work on being charitable this advent season?" His reply: "No, that's lent. This is Advent. This is when I am merry and eat a lot!"

Anja has been incredible last night and today. Last night after dinner we gave her a bath and she fell asleep just before 8:00 which put Martin and me in bed shortly after 8:00. It was the first time we'd gone to bed at the same in 2 or 3 weeks. Usually one of us goes to bed while the other tries to put her to sleep, then we trade off, etc. She slept in pretty solid 3 hour chunks of time, and when she did stay awake for an hour around midnight she was happy and fine and eventually drifted off again without being fussy. Then this morning she woke up at 5:00 which was exactly the time I wanted to wake up, and she was so happy all morning! I put her in her swing in the doorway of the bathroom while I took my shower and she was awake the whole time, and perfectly happy!!! It was GREAT!! I fed her right before we left for Crawfordsville, she didn't cry at all in the car, and then at her doctor appointment she was just awake and alert and didn't cry until the very end (and then all the way home) because she was hungry. She's been so great!! I think the bath last night definitely did it. She was very calm for it. She wasn't calm after I got her out of the bath, but she was calm for the most part while she was in it. Martin read us one chapter of Catch-22 while I fed her and she was out by the end of the chapter. It was a pretty perfect night!

Now she's taking a nap and I still haven't gone to the grocery store today! I also wanted to go out to Once Upon a Child and see if I can find some more pants for her. She doesn't have very many pairs of pants.

Wasn't the ice storm marvelous? Martin took a great picture of one little branch that looked like a christmas ornament was hanging from it, but I haven't uploaded it from my camera yet. When I do, I will post it.


LauraSuz said...

We saw you guys outside on Saturday morning and honked but you didn't see us. We were looking at a house down by you guys. We could have been back door neighbors but we didn’t care for the house. Its funny how one street over makes me feel not so safe.

Anne said...

Aww, man, I wanted Peter to take some pics of the ice storm but we pretty much missed it...bummer!