Thursday, June 26, 2008

And the Weekend Begins!

Thursday is the new Friday this week, with Martin taking a vacation day tomorrow! He's also taking one on Monday, so we should have a pretty good weekend. Especially since it's THE FIDDLERS GATHERING!!!!! We got our weekend passes on Tuesday and are VERY excited to go out there, especially since who cares if it rains, since we have our awesome stroller rain cover?!? Lucky us!

Anja and I both have colds. Actually, she got a cold and I thought it was just the dry air in the Big Back Room, but now she seems to be over her sniffles and I've come down with them. I think I've got it worse than she had it, and it still is nothing major, it's just annoying to have a stuffy nose all the time. Oh well, at least Anja seems to be feeling better! She took a solid 3 hour nap this afternoon!!! That hasn't happened in ages.

Tonight I actually made something I was happy with for dinner. That might be a first. You can read the recipe here. It was "Lemonicious Chicken" a recipe I made up by looking up "Lemon Chicken" on allrecipes.com and picking out different ingredients and adding some that weren't listed. I used my very own thyme. With it we had baked potatoes, which were topped with sour cream and some chives from my mom's garden! Also we had peas. I don't know if anyone else does this, but when we have baked potatoes we salt the tin foil before wrapping them up. It makes the skins absolutely DELICIOUS.

So anyway, it's nice to feel successful in the kitchen.

This evening while Martin was dancing through the house singing hip-hop songs, Anja was laughing at him and suddenly Martin smiled at her and said, "you won't be laughing when you're in highschool!!!!" We often wonder when Anja will become embarrassed of her parents. It's a sad thing to think of. Everyone has been telling us how having kids is like living in a parallel universe. You're living day by day as you're raising your kids, but then suddenly they're all grown up and you can still remember like it was yesterday when they were just babies. I think that's sad. I try to appreciate every day while Anja is still little and the only baby we have. It's really not very hard. She's awfully fun.

We went to the library today and browsed the non-fiction. I always forget how much great stuff they have there! Songbooks, stencil books, language books, and huge volumes of folk tales from all different countries and ethnic groups. It's like a gold mine right across the street.

I'm looking forward to this weekend!!

2 comments:

Anne said...

One of my favorite things is feeling successful in the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Concerning your gold mine across the street.....some guy wrote a letter to the editor a few days ago complaining about the trolley tax. Among his comments was the fact that he had never been to the library and didn't even know where it was. He actually admitted that in the newspaper! Isn't that sad?
Mama
PS Billy Brand is on the cover of TGIF this week!