Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Home-Baked Deliciousness!

Yesterday morning my sister called as she was headed out for a walk with her two littlest ones. Anja and I met up with them at the Farmers Market where I bought (actually Sarah bought for me) a very large zucchini, a garlic, and a box of tart cherries. From there we kept walking over to Rubia where we got half price flowers (I bought her flowers, she bought my veggies. A good trade!) and walked back home again. Once home Anja took a nap and I made pie crust, stuck it in the fridge, and later in the afternoon I turned those tart cherries into a delicious pie filling. I don't think i've ever made a cherry pie from scratch, so I was a little nervous, but it turned out pretty yummy! Maybe I'll take a picture and post it later on here, or on the cooking blog.

Last night for dinner we ate leftovers so I also cut up half of the giant zucchini and fried it. Um, gross. I guess I should've taken into account the fact that Martin doesn't care for zucchini and I don't care for fried foods before I decided to make fried zucchini. We put all that nastiness into a tupperware that belongs to my mom and tried to deliver the whole deal to her at the Dulcimer Gathering on our way up to Von's to buy our Fiddlers passes, but she wasn't there. I love going to Von's. I poked around the CDs while Martin bought the passes and afterward we skipped across the street to Vienna where we sat on the patio and drank iced coffees before walking back home (Anja had been sleeping this entire time) and going to Knitting Night at Barnes & Noble. We didn't stay there long, but it was a nice small group and I did manage to get a little bit done on that final bear leg that is taking me forever to finish.

This morning there was a fabulous thunderstorm. It was sooooooooo cozy. I practiced my lightning safety by not taking a shower during it, and instead, still in our pajamas, I made a pot of coffee and Anja and I snuggled up in a quilt on the floor in the front room and read stories while Karenin paced nervously around the screen door. She's never cared about thunder before, but I think the fireworks from the Taste the other night kind of messed her up. Suddenly, she cares A LOT.

Then during Anja's nap (a fairly good nap, for once!) today I made zucchini bread with the other half of the zucchini from last night. Tonight we'll have tomato basil pasta and our choice of dessert!

5 comments:

Joannie said...

just so everyone knows, the cherry pie and the zucchini bread were both DEEEElicious.

(I wonder why no one has a problem pronouncing "zucchini" but everyone has a problem pronouncing "bruschetta." It's the same concept, people. Sorry, random comment.)

Elisabeth said...

have you tried marinating zucchini in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, then grilling it? mmmm--that's my fave... perhaps you can get your husband to love it that way???? who knows... i think you could do asparagus a million different ways and i'd still hate it, so perhaps not.... :)

Clare said...

Tart cherry pie is our new dessert of choice! You would think after 2 weeks of cherry madness we would not want any more cherry pie, but last night was a sad night when we finished up the very last piece! :(

M LO said...

Second on the "bruschetta" comment, although I must admit that if I hadn't studied in Italy, I would be haplessly lost on what "C"s are hard and which ones are soft, and so on. I kind of like that the pronunciation has changed though. Language must change and it should be no surprise that people unfamiliar with the language pronounce it differently.

And indeed, we have "k" sounds after an "s" in our language much in the same way as the correct pronunciation. Take "schedule" for instance. Perhaps, linguistically speaking, it is a matter of overcorrection. We Americans know, or think we know, that Italians have a lot of "ch" and "sch" sounds. And so, ignoring what we know from the "zucchini" example, we pronounce the sound as we think Italians would pronounce it. It is an interesting notion and one that I've been thinking about lately. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Annie, your pie was delicious! Thank you for sending a piece home with Joan.Ditto on the zucchini bread. It was a nice change from the super sweet and oily breads that usually result.
mrsw