Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Wood is Good!

Oh. My. Gosh.


Remember how we hit the jackpot with our garden already having been a garden so the soil was already rich and wonderful? Well, well, well! If hardwood floors were soil, we'd be just as golden!!! In fact--WE ARE!!

I swear, we are sitting on a goldmine here. Some people move into "fixer uppers." We moved into a house that had been "fixed up" only to find out that the way it had been was a million times better--and that beneath the layers of cheap improvements, it's still that wonderful!

We set our alarm for 6:30 but it was so dreary and dark still that we pulled Anja into bed with us and we all snuggled up until 8:00. I made eggs and toast for breakfast and we got right to work. I held my breath as Martin cut into the carpet and pulled it back to reveal: nearly perfect wood flooring underneath! He hauled it all out to the curb and we got right to work pulling up staples, pulling up that weird tack board stuff along the walls, scraping off any paint spots on the floor, sweeping it up and cleaning the wood with wood cleaner. We're 3/4 done already. We've saved the worst for last, but it's hardly anything, so it'll go quickly tomorrow. I'm going to do some rearranging too... I've already started putting stuff back into the finished half of the room, and I'm going to keep some stuff out, like a small side table that would be a PERFECT little kids table, and Martin's cute canoe shelves which have been pretty much buried under coats and baby gear. While we're rearranging the house, we're thinking of what we could do with our rooms, as in making the Big Back Room into our bedroom, making our current bedroom into a playroom... I just don't know. I feel like I've just gotten our bedroom the way I like it--but it could make SUCH a cute playroom too. And if we slept downstairs, Anja could have her own room. Also if we slept downstairs, any other babies would have much more room to stay in our bedroom for awhile, and no matter what time of year they are born, they will be either warm enough or cool enough during their early days. I worry about the complete lack of temperature control upstairs.

I'm totally rambling here, I know. Martin pointed out that the upstairs closet would be a perfect closet for dress-up clothes...

So much to think about!! So many options!!

I will definitely post before and after pictures when we're finished!

2 comments:

Anne said...

That definitely is an exciting discovery!

Sarah said...

I am SOOOOOO jealous!! I love your bedroom / playroom idea.