Sunday, June 15, 2008

Is This a Trick Question?

If you were asked which breed of insect you'd rather have breeding in your bathroom: Cluster Flies or Mosquitoes? what would be your answer? It looks as if I complained for so long about the flies that I was sent a replacement pest.

Martin blames that pesky bucket of dirty mop water that sat stagnant for two weeks. I bet he's right! One summer my brother-in-law, Andrew, thought he was hatching tadpoles in a fishtank full of stagnant rain water. He was really excited. Then he went to some information booth at a festival and saw that he was actually hatching his very own mosquitoes. Oops!

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly,) this weekend has crept by. It's not as if I haven't had plenty to do though. Friday night I had shrimp scampi up at my parents' house. Poor Anja... I'm not kidding when I say that I think having Martin gone is freaking her out. She only wanted me on Friday night, and she cried and cried when either of my parents tried to hold her. I was just beginning to think something was wrong with her, but as soon as we got home (and my dad can testify) she was back to her normal self! Poor little thing. On Saturday morning I went with Joannie to the Farmers Market and to a couple of downtown antique shops. We saw Laura and Dan! I filled up the afternoon with a walk down to Artists Own and a trip out to Lowe's where I bought a Serpent Plant. It's very cute. It might be called a Snake Plant, I can't really remember. It was only about $3.00. There's another plant out there that I'm going to buy that starts with a C and is billed as the Oldest Known Plant. So I'm going to have The Oldest Plant in the World right in my very own living room!

For dinner I was invited out to La Scala with my family, who were going to the Bach Chorale Singers concert afterward. I forgot to ask for no cheese on my dinner, and I picked the big globs off, but I took a chance and ate the rest--no screaming!! She must be really nearing the end. I had heard it starts to get better around 7 months, and boy was that right on. I'm still not going to eat a cheese wheel for breakfast, but it's nice to know that little bits won't hurt.

It ended up being kind of a busy evening then. On the way home from La Scala (they all left their leftovers in my fridge while they went to the show) we ran into the entire Loew family! How funny. Shortly after I got home, Mrs. Schap called and she and John Mooney came over to see Anja and to gaze in amazement and wonder at our wood floors. John even took Karenin on a walk for me. What a guy! TusaRebecca was on her way home and saw her mom's car parked at my house, so she stopped in too. It was quite the family gathering at the Schap House last night. By the time they left, it wasn't much longer before I put Anja down for the night and my family came back for their food.

This morning Karenin woke me up at the usual early time and I thought it'd be a good thing because we could get to 7:30 mass if Anja woke up in time. And she did! But her waking up early made me more unable to get ready quickly, and at 7:40 when we were on the way out the door and she was acting like she was too hungry to make it to church without a meltdown, I said "forget it" and we stayed home. She got a short nap between then and woke up right at 9:30, so we hurried over to St. Boniface for that mass and were only a few minutes late. We sat in the back by Denver. And this really cute little girl behind us loved Anja. It was sweet.

Today I made some Oatmeal Fruit Cookies with Craisins. Yummmm yum. They are delicious little treats and so incredibly easy, and I only burned one pan of them (And, Clare! They are a recipe from Simply in Season!)

Anja has started falling off the bed. This morning when she woke up I heard her talking and I waited a few minutes before getting her because she didn't sound upset. When I went into the room, the bottom half of her body was on the pillows below her bed and her head and shoulders were on the floor! And she was smiling so big!!! She thought it was pretty hilarious that she was on the floor, looking at me upside down. Later on she rolled off the bed again and missed the pillows, and she didn't think that was so funny.

Happy Fathers Day to all those dads reading this... which is maybe only mine... so happy fathers day to all your husbands!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, Daddy reads your blog, so he got your Happy Father's Day wishes.
I think that plant is called Creeping Charlie (it used to be called Wandering Jew....before the days of political correctness when everyone got so offended about EVERYTHING!!). Daddy and I had one back in our BC (before children) days when all we had to take care of were plants. They grow like blazes and don't require to much care. Even folks with black thumbs (like us) could grow them! I must say, though, children were a lot more fun. But after I had you guys I graduated to plastic plants :)
Love, Mama

Anonymous said...

I meant TOO much care.
Mama

Annie Hatke Schap said...

No matter its ethnic heritage, I don't think this plant will be a creeper or a wanderer. It's one of those plants that grow straight up with big thick leaves. They might grow in the way of that funny word... mobius? Anyway... what's a Creeping Charlie? I'd like to have one of those. I've decided I don't have enough living things to care for and I've begun collecting plants. I have a Pothos (I think that's what it's called) that Martin got me for my first mothers day LAST year, when I was preggo, and it's impossible to kill. I love it. It might be a creeping Charlie... it's the kind of plant they have at Tae Kwon Do, the one that is sooooooooooooooooo huge in the lobby!!

Anonymous said...

Is it Pothos or Pathos. In any cans, that's actually a Philodendron and you're right, they are very hardy. Most of the ones you see indoors that are huge are also very leggy due to lack of sunshine. In good sun they are really a nice plant. They are also very easy to propagate with cuttings, so some people just keep cutting off the ends and sticking them in the dirt to "thicken" the appearance, but what they're really doing is starting new plants. Sort of like cloning, but lots easier.

Anonymous said...

Annie: I know why you keep a bucket of dirty mop water.....remember when we had the white kitchen floor and I always kept a bucket of mop water in the corner so that I could mop it a zillion times a day???? It's a Freudian thing....from your childhood. My advice? Get a dark floor. Those white floors are an invention of the devil.
Love, Mama

Anna May said...

So, now it's the devil's fault. Hummm??