Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sleep Situations

I know I've posted a thousand times about the sleeping situation here at the Schap house. How Anja's room is downstairs and our room is upstairs so we have made a little bed for her in our room because her room is too far away from us. Now I need some opinions.

Anja's little bed is a twin-sized wool blanket folded up to be her size with a folded quilt on top of that. It's not a huge space, but it makes a nice little mat for her. It's firmness is between a bassinet (hard as a rock) and a crib (softer.) I thought it would be a good fit for a little baby. The problem is that she's not so little anymore. She's practically crawling, and I NEED her to stay asleep at night, because when she wakes up she is not contained, so she is able to roll all over the room. But she just doesn't sleep well on her little bed, and I'm wondering now if it's because it isn't soft enough. But they always tell you not to make baby beds soft because they can suffocate. But isn't she big enough to not suffocate in her soft bed now?

Okay, here's the point, and the question: Anja sleeps like a corpse in our bed. Our bed is AMAAAAAZING. A comfy mattress with a down blanket used as a featherbed under the sheet and lots of quilts. Now this is not an argument for or against co-sleeping... she doesn't sleep there when we are in it, she takes her naps there and when I wake up in the morning, I move her to our bed. I have a twin-sized down featherbed from my single days. Should I have her sleep on it? I think she would sleep better, but I don't want to do something stupid. I know, I know, she should've started sleeping in her crib when she outgrew her bassinet, but it's just not going to happen.

So what does everyone think?

I just went out to check on my garden. My tomato plants are getting huge!!!! Talk about exciting. I've got flowers on everything but my Big Boys. Martin saved a bunch of the very straight branches from the weed trees he cut down this weekend. We'll cut and strip them and use them as stakes to hold up our ginormous vegetable plants.

In other news, it's a dark and stormy day which means I should be able to get ALL of my housework done! And maybe in the afternoon we'll sit out on the porch and watch the rain.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Anastasia NEVER slept in her crib. She hated it. One idea (that we do now) is we got her a twin size mattress on the floor (I used to put blankets around it in case she rolled off) but she really seems to like it and sleeps almost all night it in now. And we childproofed her bedroom for if she wakes up. It is also great if you nurse her to sleep because you can just get up and leave her there after she falls asleep.

You could probably use a crib mattress since she is still little... and maybe but a couple rolled up blankets next to the mattress for if she rolls out. Just an idea that works for us. :) Good luck!

Anne said...

I feel like I'm often writing about sleeping, too! I think it's because that first year is so full of growth and change - the routines are always changing so just when you think you've got it, it's time to tweak the routine a bit!! :o)

Sarah said...

I think giving her the extra down comforter or feather bed that you have is a good idea. My kids have always loved the featherbed and slept well on it. Or you could just pull her into bed with you=) Anna always puts her kids to sleep on a sheepskin -- I think that seems to be a cozy idea too!