Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jinx!

Don't ever tell people you have a good baby. As soon as the words leave your mouth, you will most definitely be proven wrong. I went out to Nature's Pharm to meet my aunt and we had a good time sniffing the lotions and comparing hand creams and stuff for about five seconds. She asked me, as she looked adoringly down at my baby-sized slice of angelicness, if Anja was always such a good baby. I should have told the truth: that she only likes me, and her general motto is "my way or the highway." However, instead of being honest I said, "Oh, yes! She's such good girl! Blah blah blah! With every good thing I say about her, her waking volume will increase by five decibels!" And sure enough, a minute later she woke up. HATING THE WORLD. There was no consoling her. And this was not your every day waking-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed fussiness. This was an all-out fit. The kind where there are long periods of silence, which is never a good thing. You know the kind I mean, when they cry until they don't have anymore air so they go silent while their face turns slightly purple and then--GASP--they come back stronger than before (just when you thought it wasn't possible)!! That was the kind of fit Little Miss Anja Pie was having today at Nature's Pharm. So we left. She fell back asleep as soon as we got outside and now she's in her crib and she's still asleep.

I know I haven't learned my lesson. I do this all the time. She IS a good baby, she's smiley and cheerful and nice to be around most of the time. It's just whenever I tell that to anyone that the winds change and her demonic side shows through. With gusto!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my last comment about "sex and violence in the movies", I promise. I realize that I am decades older than any of you, but it does give one a different perspective on life. By the time you have reached nearly 60 years, you have probably experienced so much REAL sorrow, pain, loss, even terror, that you really don't want to watch "pretend" stuff about that ever again. It does nothing but annoy you. We have a limited amount of space in our conscious thought.....I am not sure we need to add extraneous ugliness to what is already there just by living life for a certain number of years. And, believe me, after 30, 40, 50, years it will be there.
That is why I tend to choose movies that have an uplifting or at least happy theme. It really has very little to do with morality or sin or anything else like that. Believe me, movies are not going to cause me to sin, for heaven's sake. If your virtue is so shallow that a "risque or violent" movie is going to shake you, then you really didn't have much to bank on to begin with. Believe me, as your life goes on, decade after decade, you will understand that movies have very little to do with who you are. Life, both the beautiful and the ugly, will take care of that. And that said, we need to do as much as we possibly can to stay happy and cheerful, so as to give a witness to others. Moaning and groaning about how "bad" the world is will not help anyone, least of all yourself. Living the Christian life is not for sissies....and movies are the least of your worries....take it from one who has been there...done that.
Mama

Annie Hatke Schap said...

That had nothing to do with my daughter's public display of hysteria! However, I agree with everything you said. I mean, I haven't lived through anything bad, although I believe that by the time I'm as OLD as YOU are (ha-ha, just kidding) I will have. But Martin wants to know why you stole all of his ideas without acknowledging them when he said them in his comments on the original post? The thing about movies shaking your virtue. Oh, and he won't let me have a Great Dane from the newspaper, even if it's for free. Isn't he such a jerk?
Anyway, the point is, I agree.

Anonymous said...

I just laughed when I read about Anja's meltdown. Until she lays kicking and screaming on the floor of K-Mart like her mother did, you really haven't lived....but just wait...she'll get there...they all do.
I did not steal Martin's ideas....I taught them to him in the first place, back when he was in my class. HA!
Mama
PS Someday Anja will love me...I hope.

Anonymous said...

PS Just call me Barack....I steal ideas from other people.
Too bad about the Great Dane. But have I taught you nothing???
You just get the dog and when your husband comes home he will love it. Works for me.
Mama

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Barack? Ideas? I didn't know he had any, stolen or original. I was under the impression that he's only about making people feel good.

And as for the dog thing... if I started that, it would be true and then I'd do it all the time and then your granddaughter would no longer life in a house, she would live in a zoo!! Still, though... too bad about the Great Dane.

Anonymous said...

And Anja was crying real tears. I felt so sorry for her. Glad to hear she settled down once she got back in the car. At least her little tummy wasn't hurting. When they cry that hard, that is what I think of.

Aunt Anna May