Thursday, February 7, 2008

You Have a Baby!... Now What?

When some friends of Martin's had a baby shortly after Anja was born I was looking at greeting cards at Von's for them, and I found a card that said "Congratulations, you have a baby! What are you going to do with it?" And in a way, it's right. Anja is more than just a blob now, and I find myself not knowing what to do with her. What kind of things do you do with a three month old? I put her on the floor a lot, but sometimes I realize she's just there on the floor with nothing to do. And kicking her legs is great, but what about stimulation? We do the Itsy Bitsy Spider, and I dangle toys for her and rattle rattles in front of her face, but is that it? And when she's just playing on the floor by herself, is that okay? Or should I be having her doing more than that?

Anyway, tonight I found some toys in a box and she seemed to like the noises they make. But she can't sit up by herself and she doesn't really like being propped up so I worry that she's just staring at the ceiling all day and that I am being neglectful and letting her newly formed brain turn to jello already.

So if anyone has any advice on how to play with an infant, I'm here to take all I can get.

Martin has been home for two days with the flu and I don't think he'll go in tomorrow either. The poor guy, he gets sick so much during the winter and he always seems to get hit hard. He asked me if I was getting sick and I gave him the most honest answer: I can't. It doesn't matter if I DO get sick, because I can't just call into work and stay in bed all day. "Oh, hello, Anja? Yes, I'm sorry I'm feeling pretty miserable, so I won't be able to be your mom today. Sorry, see you Monday!" Haha, yeah right. Not that I'm complaining... it's just one of those things I never thought of until yesterday.
I think I'll make some chicken for myself now, and I will leave you with a picture of how we're all feeling tonight... a little on the sleepy side!

By the way, I know that in all of her pictures Anja's left eye is a lot smaller than her right. It just happens when she smiles, she's not really deformed.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I was going to comment and then realized that Peter was the one with Charles at the time when he was three months. But I know Peter used one of those bouncy chairs a lot. It had a mobile above and little rattles one the side to look at. But then again, if Anja doesn't like being propped up...

Besides, I think babies are supposed to stare at the ceiling. I doubt her brain is going mushy.

But I think I'll be quiet now, step aside, and let those more experienced mothers advise.

:o)
P.S. I think you should post two or three times a day, once in the morning. :o)

Anonymous said...

Annie: Actually, when Anja seems to be just vegging out and staring at the ceiling, she really is using her brain to figure out all the stimuli around her....sounds, smells, everything. Very soon now (if she hasn't already) she will discover that she has hands and fingers, feet and toes, and she will spend hours just playing with them. The only way she can discover them is if you leave her on the floor. That is how she will learn to turn over, get up on her hands and knees, and finally crawl. You don't need to be playing with her every minute....actually, if you do that she will not have the opportunity to learn all those other things.
Relax, you are one great Mama.
Love, Yo Mama

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures of SuperCutie Anja....but I think I love this one the best.
Ooma