Monday, April 14, 2008

Boden's Moles

The other day in the mail I got the strangest catalogue. It's called Boden. It appears to be European, and it's really cute clothes, kind of J.Crew style, except slightly more casual. They also have shoes and handbags. And evidently they have a separate men's store and children's store (Mini Boden.) So anyway, there are a lot of really funny things about this catalogue, one of them being that with every picture they tell something about the model. They say her name, and then her answer to a question, and then tell you what she's wearing. For example: a picture of a girl on the beach says: "Vanessa (You just can't beat: a good green tea) Aqua Island Vine Shorts, Scoop Neck, Sunglasses." And it has that for every picture! And they have maybe 7 different models or something, and for the kids they just say their names and that they are in a selection of Mini Boden. How fun is that!?? I swear, I haven't spent this much time looking at a catalogue since I was little and those gigantic J.C.Penny catalogues would come at Christmas time and I'd go through the toy section every day drawing big circles around everything I wanted Santa Claus to bring me.

But the other funny thing about this Boden place is their color names. They are mostly normal... Soft Coral, Navy, White, Aqua, Pink.... and then there's Mole. Most people call their browns Mocha or Espresso or Chocolate. Not Boden. "Mole" is the name of Boden's brown, and I can't decide if they mean "Annie-style" Mole or "furry, blind, big-handed rodent" Mole. Either way, though... pretty funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Boden!! That's where I got my yellow raincoat! (which I wore today and stuck out like a sore thumb in this culture that only wears black.) I agree, their catalogs are the best. I love reading the interview answers! Trena and I used to sit and laugh at the expressions they'd use because they're so British! I think Trena's favorite was "builder's bum" instead of "plumbers butt," and we'd started saying "builder's bum" all the time after that.

If you request a catalog from them, the options of "titles" before your name is great-- everything from "commodore" to "duchess of" to "earl" to "the viscountess." It's hilarious!

Yay for Boden!