Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Taking Our Time

Could anyone ask for a better week of weather? And tonight we might get some light thunderstorms, then have another fabulously sunny and warm day tomorrow. THIS is the weather I've been looking forward to all winter!! Yesterday Anja and I spent most of the day walking around town. I put sunscreen on her arms so she wouldn't have to wear a sweater and we took a long walk over the bridge. For some reason she had kind of a meltdown on the bridge, but was fine after we were back on the street. I wonder if she finds the bridge boring because there isn't anything to look at? I guess on the weekdays there aren't that many people out, and she's all tucked in her carrier, she probably can't see much of anything. She loves to walk by the store windows downtown though. Later in the day I got an email from Martin saying he'e regrettably just had two cokes and now felt like death. My response was "Mmm, a coke sounds good" so I walked down to McCords and got myself one! And, of course, shortly after drinking it I felt like death myself. But while I was there, Kim came in. He was on his way home from somewhere so I walked him up to 9th street before going home again with Anja. I had dinner ready when Martin got home so after we ate we were able to take a walk as a family! We went up 7th street, around the circle part of Highland Park, and back down 6th to home. We dressed Anja in her pj's and went to the store then (we were 100% out of toilet paper--yikes!) did our shopping, had some coffee, and drove home. Anja fell asleep, as we knew she would, so the pj's in advance idea was a good one.

It's weather like this that makes me not want to rush anything. When we go for a walk to get somewhere, it's nice to be able to enjoy the walk now. When it's time to take the dog out, Anja goes with me and we take our time walking around the yard. There's no rush to get back inside when it's sunny and warm out. It's great!

Speaking of the dog... she has an appointment for Friday to get spayed. I feel bad for her. They'll keep her overnight and we'll pick her up on Saturday morning. Poor girl. She'll probably be out of commission for the weekend; maybe we'll bring her home on Saturday, give her some loving, and then go somewhere for awhile so she can just rest in her cage and not be bothered by our noise. It's supposed to be a nice day; maybe we'll go hiking.

I was reading Clare's blog and followed the craft link she has on there. There was an idea on there that I'm totally going to use today--water bottles filled with colored water and glitter! I can get everything I need downtown, and I think it's something Anja would love to look at. She's probably getting bored with her same old Toucan and Haba Man anyway. Something new and pretty would be fun for her.

I'm wearing my favorite skirt from last summer! It doesn't fit quite like it did... but I can get it buttoned, which is better than I could do when I bought it two years ago. That should make me feel good about myself, I guess. I'm kind of feeling like a cow lately though, especially after seeing my sister yesterday who looks better at 3 weeks post partum than I do at 5 months!

...almost 6 months, I guess. That's crazy! Last night Anja kept rolling over in her sleep. She sleeps next to our bed, but when she rolls off her little "bed" in our direction and I wake up, I can't see her so my first thought is "Anja's gone!" Of course, she's never gone, she's just on her belly on the floor. Okay, this might sound like she's falling off a bed. But she's not. She just rolls off her blanket onto the carpet. (which is very clean, by the way. It's not like rolling off her blanket onto the living room carpet.)

Okay, time to get some work done!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

MOO!! Are you kidding?? You are SO SKINNY!!

Anne said...

Please!! You both look absolutely gorgeous!!!
Wish I could carry babies the way you ladies do...

Clare said...

You don't look anything like a cow in your pictures! I heard it takes about a year to really get back to normal. So I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Did you make a looky-loo yet? I bet Anja appretiated it more than Anastasia. She just got mad because I wouldn't take the lid off and let her drink it! It was quite amusing though.

Franz Snideman said...

Congrat's on your daughter! My wife and I just had our first child (a girl) 4 months ago!

Changes your life in such an awesome way, doesn't it!

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Hello, Franz! You found me from Martin's blog! How funny. I saw the pictures on your blog of your baby girl when she was first born. She's so beautiful! Isn't it amazing how fast they grow? I can't believe Anja is almost 6 months old already.

Clare-
I made the looky-loo. Anja liked to look at it when I shook it up, but the dog seemed more interested. I think Anja will like it better when she can hold it herself. It's a little heavy for her because the only water bottles they had at the newsstand were the huge sporty ones. Filled up with water that gets a little weighty for a little thing.