Friday, April 18, 2008

The Rest of my Fantastic Friday

Well! It's been a day and a half already and it's only 3:30 in the afternoon! After all the excitement this morning, when Anja and I were finally dressed and ready for the rest of the day, we decided to go for a walk in the gorgeous morning. I called Kim to see if he happened to be downtown--it's always fun to have someone to walk with and he's the only person I know who is regularly bumming around downtown instead of regularly working. We met up on 4th street--on the way there, I saw my mother-in-law's car parked outside the courthouse. I thought she might be out to lunch with someone so I called her. Turns out she was in court with her Mock Trial kids, but she was GOING to go to lunch with all of them at noon and she invited me along! So instead of having a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, I got to have SALMON & ASPARAGUS!! Wahoo! But before I met up with her, Kim and I managed to get from 4th street to almost 9th street and bumped into tons of people on the way that we knew. The first was Sugar, who invited us into the new restaurant that is going into the old Cajun building. It is SO CUTE. I can't wait till they open. I'm definitely going to see if my parents want to go to lunch there next week, if they open then like they are hoping to. So we hung around there for awhile, then kept walking and ran into Dawn of Adam&Dawn and she admired Anja for awhile and while she was, Mrs. Mills saw us and came over to chat and, of course, admire Anja! Such fun! I walked Kim up to 9th street and he kept going toward Trinity Mission while I turned around and walked back down the other side of the street toward the Bistro. On the way I ran into my old boss (& fellow parishoner) Diana so she got to meet Anja too. Luckily, Anja was in the best mood of the century and was handing out smiles like church bulletins.

Lunch was fun; Mrs. Schap and I sat at a table by ourselves. One thing that did annoy me was when I came in with my stroller--which I admit is slightly oversized--and parked it next to our table and a waiter came out and said quite audibly, "well that's going to be awkward" as he moved around the stroller, which, by the way, I made sure left as much of a walkway as was possible. What annoyed me wasn't that they were unwelcoming of strollers--heck, I don't even like strollers, I think they are big and bulky and generally ugly and in-the-way--but he didn't have to grunt that the way he did and what if it had been my daughter in a wheelchair? Hmm??? Then would he have said anything?! Yes, I would rather have come with her in the carrier or sling so she could've just sat on my lap, but I wasn't planning on going out to lunch when I started out on my walk. I shouldn't be annoyed by that, but I was. I understand why he would THINK that, but I just think it was kind of rude to say it aloud. By the way, the waiter who said it was not Billy Brand, who was the waiter for our table! It was some blonde guy I don't know.

Anyway. I fed Anja in the bathroom and she fell asleep and slept all the way home. In fact, she's still sleeping. I transferred her from the stroller to our bed though. If she's not awake by 4:00 I'm going to wake her up though because while I appreciate the 3-hour naps, I don't necessarily want her sleeping ALLLLL afternoon and not sleeping tonight. I hate waking her up though, it seems so mean.

By the way, did I happen to mention how great she was this morning when we yanked her out of bed to flee the house? She was amazing. Of course, she woke right up, but she never made a peep. She's awesome!

Last night was the judging night for the Shirley Martin Scholarship. It was a lot of fun. Those things always are. Somehow I've managed to stay in the judging group all these years and last night I finally felt like I did a good job. I had really strong opinions about certain ones and I stuck with them and in the end, they turned out to be everyone else's opinions too!

TusaRebecca wanted to walk the dogs this afternoon, but Martin will be home in a little more than an hour. Good thing we're having leftovers for dinner! Maybe I will give in and wake Anja. She'd like a walk in her carrier anyway. And there's no sense wasting this wonderful day inside!

P.S. I'm disappointed in the serious lack of comments on my earlier post.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that your Friday got even MORE fantastic when Yo Mama stopped by. Isn't it great to live downtown in the Spring and walk around and see everyone?

Anonymous said...

I'LL MAKE A COMMENT!!!!! SORRY TO HAVE DISAPPOINTED WITH THE LACK OF MY SERIOUSLY ENTERTAINING AND FUN COMMENTS YESTERDAY!!! DO YOU THINK THAT THE ALL CAPS. WILL HELP TO ASSUAGE THE HURT FEELINGS YOU HAVE FOR MY NOT COMMENTING EARLIER? DO YOU THINK THAT IF I RAMBLE ON FOR ANOTHER COUPLE PARAGRAPHS IT WILL HELP YOUR HEALING PROCESS?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED THE EARTHQUAKE!!! ALTHOUGH, I DID NOT GET UP AND BE PRODUCTIVE ALL DAY. I WENT BACK TO BED. UNTIL IT WAS TIME TO GET UP AND GET THOS. TO SCHOOL. HE WAS SAD HE DIDN'T FEEL ANYTHING- AND A BIT MAD THAT I DIDN'T WAKE HIM UP FOR IT.

WELL, CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE TO RAMBLE ABOUT. SEE YOU MONDAY!!!

M.

P.S. READING OVER THIS COMMENT- I WAS STRUCK BY HOW NON-FUNNY AND ENTERTAINING IT IS... PERHAPS, YOU WILL BAN ME FROM THE COMMENT PAGE.

Annie Hatke Schap said...

THANKS, MARY!!!

Isn't it funny that when I read things that are typed in all caps, I imagine the person shouting it to me? So just then you were kind of shouting at me. A lot.

But I'm glad you loved the earthquake!!! I loved it too. Indiana sure is full of surprises!

You'll have to give me your HONEST opinion on my tweakings of the front room when you're here on Monday. I am open to criticism.

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Mama,
Yeah, I think I made this post just before you came. But thanks for stopping by! Downtown is definitely the best in the spring.

Anonymous said...

I always get really sad when I don't have comments, too. You know people are reading your blog, but it somehow doesn't seem like it unless people comment.

When I was complaining about it to Jill, she pointed out that I don't always comment either.

Even before you expressed your sadness over not having comments, I was GOING to comment on a few things:

1) LOVED the phrase "handing out smiles like church bulletins." I hope that's a genuine Annie-ism and you aren't quoting someone else or something else, because it's amazingly funny.

2) When you said the Bistro, for some reason I was picture Maize in my head, I'm not sure why, and when you mentioned Billy I was going to comment, "Why isn't Billy still at the Bistro?" and then I realized what a doofus I was.

3) I miss the Bistro.

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Joannie,

It IS a genuine Annie-ism! I'm glad you thought it was funny. :) I don't know how many St. Ann's bulletins I have on the floor of our car... and we don't even GO to St. Ann's!

I have to email you something HILARIOUS that has to do with a phone call... that wasn't you!!!

I should comment on your blog more often. :( I'm sorry that I don't.

Elisabeth said...

I feel ya' on the comment thing... I just figure I'm putting my random thoughts out there into cyberspace for no other purpose than to vent to myself... oh well...at least my mom reads mine! ;) lol
What's the deal with the new restaurant? What type will it be? I'm jealous about your Bistro lunch... when I worked there, I ate salmon all the time and it was so good! As for the blonde waiter... if it's the one I think it is--just ignore him, he's a stinker anyway ;P haha
And I didn't feel the earthquake, even though I was up and about.... sadness, it would have been cool!!!

Annie Hatke Schap said...

I read your blog, Elisabeth! I will start commenting more often.

I think the new restaurant is Cajun Barbeque? I can't remember what the name of it is. It starts with an 'S' though. But even if the food isn't any good, the decorations are super cute!