Thursday, April 10, 2008

Two Trying Days

I was feeding Anja and putting her down for her morning nap when I thought "Hm. Karenin sure is being good and quiet." I was rocking Anja and thinking of how I wish I'd brought my phone into her room with me because I wanted to text Martin something. When I finally got Anja down and she remained asleep, I went looking for the dog. The dog, who was in the back room, happily eating my cell phone.

This is not as terrible as it could be. Once before we were married my phone broke and instead of going to the cellular store to buy a new one, I got a used one on ebay. That was before I remembered that my dad still had his old phone which was the exact same model as mine. So I took his and put my simcard in it, and when the one from ebay arrived, I put it away as an extra. So I still have a phone... but I've lost some of my numbers. It could also have been bad because Martin went to work with only his work cell phone, and I don't know the number for that, and it wasn't saved on my simcard! Luckily, his desk phone number is on his cards and there are a lot of those lying around the house.

Still though. This phone is not exactly like my other one and it's taking some getting-used-to. Plus, there are a limited number of people I can call now. Dumb dog.

Oh, but it gets better! While I was on the phone with Martin on the new phone, getting his cell phone number and putting in his desk number and telling him what happened, I realized again that Karenin was being all too quiet. So I went back to the back room and found her again--this time she had eaten up everything on the coffee table! This included a CD I'd made for Laura yesterday, an entire spiral notebook, my flower orderform for the New Community School flower sale, and the recipe for the Friendship bread that I haven't copied yet!!!!! And on the floor next to this pile of torn up stuff that does not belong to Karenin was her hedgehog toy. Fully intact.

Martin went to Evansville in a college car on Tuesday night so on Wednesday he drove that car back to work. It was the only night this week that he'd be home for dinner and we had the evening free. It was also my second Annie Car Day of the week, but it was an important one because I had to take his shirts and drycleaning in... he wore his very last clean shirt to work that day and all of his dress pants needed to have the spit-up dry cleaned out of them. So I loaded up the laundry bag, dropped Anja off at my parents' busy house (it was noon and she was still in her pajamas and I was very embarrassed about that) and took in the laundry. ALL the laundry. Knowing perfectly well that I wouldn't be able to get it back until this afternoon at the earliest. What was I thinking?!? If every piece of clothes he owns is at the cleaners, what was he supposed to wear to work today??

He'd told me earlier I could choose what we did that night. I decided I'd make soup so it would be ready as soon as he got home; we'd eat and then we could have a date at Vienna and take a chai up to my sister and Martin could meet Bella. Unfortunately, I didn't really have the ingredients for soup... or for anything else... so I put a can of chicken broth, a can of tomatoes, a can of green beans and a can of corn into a pot and boiled it all afternoon. Um. Looking back, I don't really think that counts as "making soup." Then I made the Friendship Bread from Tara and thought I had all this time left in my day before Martin got home, so I took one of the starters over to Laura at her new place. I stayed there until 4:30, and realized as I drove home that Martin was getting off work just then. AND THAT I WAS SUPPOSED TO PICK HIM UP!!!!

So he had to wait at work for 40 extra minutes while I drove down late to get him, then I brought him home to enjoy a dinner of three cans of boiled vegetables. Then we had to go to TJ Maxx and get him a dress shirt because I'd taken all of his clothes to the cleaners instead of keeping one shirt out to wash and press myself for him tomorrow.

Now it's the next day and Karenin is eating the house and Anja has zero clean clothes and I keep forgetting to wash them, and now she's just peed through her diaper and soaked my jeans. My jeans which I bought at TJ Maxx last night because they were my size and only $12 and I was sure glad I bought them when we were going to visit Sarah with all this coffee and Martin bumped my cup while I was putting the non-dairy creamers into my scalding cup of coffee so it all spilled on my thighs and down my seat to my crotch so it, of course, looked like I'd wet my pants. So when we got to the hospital parking garage I got into the backseat and changed into my new jeans.

I wonder what other horrible excitement will happen today?

I'm going to Goodwill.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I was just commenting to Jill about how it's nice to share rotten days with other people. And really I think the blog is as good a place as any to do it. It's nice to bop over to another person's blog and read about their real lives - which can't always be fantastic everyday.

On the upside though, you got a totally adorable little niece so it's not all bad...it usually isn't. :o)

I wish you'd brought me some Amish Friendship Bread!! :o)

LauraSuz said...

She ate my CD! What a little ______ :) I was looking forward to that! haha

I want to laugh. I'm not sure if you meant the last paragraph to be funny but it was...now I just sound like a bad friend.

Do you need the recipe? I'll copy the one you gave me if you do. Just let me know.

Cheer up you 'ol Schap (haha get it?)