Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On Poop

So far in my limited experience, I've found poop to be one of the biggest bummers of parenting. Way bigger than the lack of sleep, major change of lifestyle, or extra costs. Those things were all expected. But the poop? It sneaks up on you and ruins your day in one blow. I have some adorable blue and white checked overalls with little ruffles that Anja wears. But on only her second time wearing them, she produced a such a massive bowel movement that it stained her undershirt onesie, her shirt onesie, AND her overalls. She also had a cute little onesie that she wore for the first time the other day (she's just now big enough to wear it) and in another major explosion, that onesie is now only suitable for overalls. The entire back is stained that brownish-yellow color of baby poop. Boooo. And it wouldn't be all that bad, I mean it's natural and everything... it's just SUCH a disappointment. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she were a boy. Boys are supposed to be somewhat dirty and stained. They're supposed to wear their stains like badges for all the world to see that they are BOY. But my cute little baby girl is supposed to be clean and flawless at all times!!!! Except for that big red mark on her forehead she just got by rolling into the coffee table.

Other than the poopie disappointments, life around the House of Schap is nothing but happies. It's been declared (by us) that we have the best baby in the entire universe, as well as a dog who is pretty up-there on the charts. It might be considered a work of Divine Mercy (I'm only a little bit kidding) but Karenin has started ringing the bell on the door to go outside. I know. I can hardly believe it either. But it's true! She randomly started doing it yesterday afternoon and today she's still doing it. It's so amazing and makes my life SO MUCH EASIER.... aside from the fact that she rings it about every four minutes.

It's been said that I have an addictive personality. I guess that's why today I baked four loaves of Friendship Bread, bringing my total loaf count to something around 742. And now I have six starters. I've come to the point where I really need to just toss them.

Tonight is knitting at Barnes & Noble. I'm hoping to get my bear leg finished, and then I'll be ready to sew him up and stuff him. Exciting times! It's still been only 6 or 7 months since I started, and in my book any project that takes less than a year is done in good time.

One thing to celebrate is the start of Farmers Market!!!! At last!!!! This summer we will eat so fabulously. The tough thing about going to the grocery once a week is that it's hard to get a weeks worth of good meals planned because by the time the weekend comes, some of the stuff is going bad. It will be great to go down and see what they have at the Farmers Market and come home and good it up. Yum yum!

Another thing to celebrate is the slow season at Martin's work! This will be the first week he spends zero nights staying late to make calls. Hooray!

Yesterday my good friend Alison came over in the afternoon. It was lovely to chat with her! Kim and I are playing for her wedding and she gave me a list of some of the songs to play. It should be a very fun time. She's having an outdoor wedding and I'm hoping the weather that day is just gorgeous. All these weddings this year! Such fun!

I haven't really been very productive today and I haven't really done much of anything, but I still feel like I'm having a busy and crammed day. Maybe that's because Anja only took a 45 minute nap before Karenin started barking and woke her up. Grr...

5 comments:

Anna May said...

Annie,

I'm not sure how much cotton the beauticians use, but it comes in big boxes. Maybe that will work. Go to Sally's, next door to Nature's Pharm. If you are a beautician, you can get a lower price. But, at least they let you buy there.

Jill said...

Hey, since you mentioned cherry coke the other day, it sounded so good that I had to go out at 7:30 last night to get myself one. It was worth it. thank you for reminding me about those.

Melissa said...

for those lovely baby poo stains, try Oxy Clean. It works every time for my baby's blow outs. I just soak her stuff in a bucket of water with one scoop of Oxy Clean. Good luck.

Sarah said...

I have Baby Oxy Clean if you want to try it. I think I got it at Target, but you can just use some of mine if you want.

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Maybe I will get some. I'm going to Target today to get hangers anyway. I also still have your Publix. I might walk over sometime this week so we can take a picture of Bella and Anja together, since last time my silly batteries were all dead.