Friday, April 11, 2008

The Hidden Benefits of Losing Your Mind

Today I am wearing a brown tank top with my orange 3/4 sleeves hoodie over it. I just spilled some coffee down the front and when I was cleaning it off I realized it doesn't matter--because I've been wearing my shirt backwards all morning!! Now I'll just turn it around! Haha, I am such a big idiot.

I only got a day to enjoy my new, sleek, scratch-free cell phone. Just a few minutes ago when I went to fill up my coffee cup, she snatched it from the table (I thought it was in my pocket, oops) and now the front is all scratched up. At least she didn't ruin it though. The screen is still intact. What a mischievous puppy.

I figure Karenin will live about 12 years. Heck, by that time I could be done having babies and all my kids might well be in school. Whenever that time comes I think she'll be a perfect companion. For now though, she is all puppy and such a handful! This morning while I was feeding Anja in her room, I thought ahead and closed the gate to the back of the house so she could be kept fairly contained. It didn't do much good--she is able to pull one of the posts loose and slip unerneath. When I came out, the gate was still latched, but she was in the back of the house eating a deck of cards!!

Anja and I slept in today for the first time in ages. I woke up at 8:00 and didn't get out of bed since I figured she'd be waking up within a few minutes, and she did, at 8:15. She is SO CUTE when she's waking up. She stretches her little arms and looks around and is so sleepy and funny. Actually, she wakes up just like Martin does. Except since Anja is so small, when she stretches like that in the morning, it is extra adorable. Anyway, she woke up and I brought her into my bed and we cuddled and jabbered until 9:00. Then she sat happily in her carseat in the bathroom while I took a shower and got dressed, and all that while Karenin was in her cage, not making a peep! For awhile I actually thought she might be dead. She wasn't. She was just being patient and good.

As soon as I was dressed we took a walk with the stroller. It was such a fabulous morning. We just walked down to Centennial Park and back. I would've gone over the bridge but I always forget about the way the sun will be in Anja's eyes, so it seems that going down 6th street one way or another is the best bet for stroller walking. I heard that the weather next week is supposed to be amazing so I will plan on a long walk one of those days. Maybe up to Vienna or something. Anja does love a nice long walk.

Boy, one night with enough sleep is a pretty amazing feeling. I woke up at 8:00 this morning feeling like I had actually slept! The night before Anja was having a very difficult time falling asleep... from about 9-1:30 she was waking up fussing about every fifteen minutes and I would nurse her back to sleep until finally she'd had enough of that as well and was just wide awake. I finally got up just before 2:00, loaded her in the car and drove around deserted Lafayette for awhile until she fell asleep. So last night having her fall asleep at 9:00 and not wake up to eat until 6:00, then sleeping still until 8:00 was very fabulous!!

Since we got the dog I've unfortunately let the housework slide. Not on purpose... it's just that I don't have very much free time anymore and I can't leave Anja alone anymore because of the dog. This is especially unfortunate since the dog adds exponentially to the dirtiness of the house.

Time to fold laundry!

4 comments:

Caitie B said...

you're an auntie of 7 now! nevermind a momma! you can't be expected to wear your shirt the right way! :)

i wonder what my excuse is! :) congrats by the way! :)

Clare said...

I seriously think puppies are harder than babies. I mean, you can't lock a baby up and go out for dinner... but atleast they have diapers and can't eat cell phones! lol

Sarah said...

I wouldn't put it past Anja to eat a cell phone -- have you seen her lately?? She looks like she could eat anything!

Clare said...

lol! No, I have never actually met Anja but I believe it! I suppose babies could drool enough to ruin a cell phone anyway (though it probably isn't too healthy)... and while Anastasia hasn't broken my phone yet, she finds it fun to drop it from high places.